Wednesday, November 11, 2015

My Secrets of Kid-hood

I love to read adult self-help books that don't apply to me in any way. So recently I read Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project" and I was interested by her list of "Secrets of Adulthood" (I would definitely recommend this book, by the way).  The list can be found in her book. It contains things from the down-to-earth basics to happiness-inducing habits.

I decided that I could come up with a list of my Secrets of Kid-Hood, mimicking Rubin's technique. Here it is folks, the Secrets of Kid-Hood!!!


  • It's ok to say no
  • Pack your backpack the night before
  • Do what you want, not what your friends want
  • Before buying clothes, think about whether you'd actually wear it, not whether you could wear it or might wear it
  • Find a hobby
  • Get used to school, because it's not going anywhere
  • Don't forget to be a kid
  • Before you do something questionable ask yourself, "Would I be OK with my priest/rabbi/teacher/grandmother seeing me do this?"
  • If you don't want to go somewhere but you know you really should, suck it up and go anyways because it might be fun. Or it won't. But at least you'll know.
  • Use a planner
  • Don't fake being sick, instead, ask if you can leave school a bit early or not come back after an appointment. Your parents will appreciate your honesty. 
  • Go with the flow
  • Don't get too caught up in things being "perfect"
  • Have fun with your "cool" friends, but don't blow off your other friends
  • You only live once, so enjoy it and don't be stupid
  • Do well in school, and if you can't do that then do okay. And if you can't do that then study
  • Focus on the now
  • Be nice to your siblings
  • If you have to doze off, daydream during language arts, not math
  • It's okay to ask questions
  • It's not the end of the world if you do bad on a test
  • Take risks, but don't be stupid
  • You are amazing
  • How you look doesn't define you
  • Middle school is awkward, it can only go up from here
  • Be assertive. If you want something from your parents (or anyone), ask! 
  • Tell people how you feel
  • You'll never know if you don't try
  • You're only a kid once, don't waste your opportunity
  • You are You
Here is a picture of the list. To print it out, download it and print!



  
Let me know in the comments what your own secrets to kid-hood are! 

- Sophia


No comments:

Post a Comment