Sunday, September 20, 2015

Our Extremely Unusual But Awesome Grandparent Names

What do you call your grandparents? Grandma and Grandpa are of course some of the most popular names, but I thought I'd share the story of my family's quite...unusual grandparent names.

Ibi

We call one of my grandmothers Ibi. Well, at first we called her Abuelita, the Spanish word for granny, but then my younger sister couldn't pronounce Abuelita, so she began calling her Ibi. It stuck, and now, six years later, we call her Ibi. It's weird, but it works.

Buelo

Just like we used to call Ibi Abuelita, we used to call Buelo Abuelo, the Spanish word for grandfather. But when my brothers we born, neither of them could pronounce Abuelo, so the name morphed into Buelo. I guess it's kind of a shortened version of the original name.

Nano

Finally, a normal grandma name. Well, I guess it's not the most popular name, but we like it. This is the only one of our grandparent's names that have stayed the same! When my cousin Quinn (the first grandchild) was born, Nano chose her name. Quinn, apparently, had way better pronunciation skills than my brothers, because the name Nano actually stuck (it's a miracle)!

Bump

This is my favorite name we've come up with. We began calling our grandpa "Gramps." This actually lasted a long time, until my sister was probably two or three. While at our house, Gramps bumped his head on a tree in our front yard. My sister began calling him "Bump," and the name just stuck. The funny thing is, I don't really think Bump minds. the name is kind of goofy, like him, and it's pretty cool.

What do you call your grandparents, or what do your kids call your parents? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment